Saturday, April 27, 2013

Bringing back the "classics"

As I type this, "Sesame Street Classics" is playing in the background, because I swear to you I cannot watch another second of PBS Sprout! We don't have the television on constantly, but whenever we do it is ALWAYS some sing-a-long (that I cannot get out of my head) starring the annoying purple dinosaur (isn't he retired?!), the whiny Cailou, the overzealous Super Readers, or the I-never-ever-listen-to-my-boss Thomas the train... It is to the point where I sing the "Pajanimals" "brusha brusha" song when I'm brushing MY teeth, and don't get me started on "Poppy (poopy) Cat!"

I guess I just feel guilty switching the channel to anything else, because we all know the news ain't pretty these days, and reality tv is trashy (although entertaining) and as far from reality as you can get. So, I'm stuck with Sprout, because as far as I have seen it is the lesser of the annoyingness that has now become kids tv. C'mon Cailou, can't you wear a different outfit like ever?! And why is your mom always wearing a frumpy mock turtleneck no matter what season it is?!

When I was growing up, we had the now classic "Sesame Street" vs. the very politically correct and a little strange version they have now. We had the irreplaceable "Mister Rogers," the simple but memorable "Reading Rainbow," and a few more... Nothing too fancy or too deep. It was just solid value-teaching, lesson-learning, lets-not-all-be-paranoid tv, and the parents actually enjoyed watching it too! In fact, one of my fondest memories is of watching the "Muppet Movie" with my Dad ("Rainbow Connection" was the song we danced to at my wedding), or laughing hysterically as Cookie Monster devoured a jar of cookies in five seconds flat (before he became a health nut). It was a much more innocent, pure time and with far less penetration from the media into our everyday lives (through every means possible). I know bad things happened then and people suffered too, but it wasn't anything like the fear and anxiety that surrounds us today. Heck! I remember being able to meet my grandma at the actual gate she was coming into at the airport (yeah, back in ancient times)

So, we are sitting here killing a little time before the big guy goes down for his nap (Cooper is already napping), and we are watching the classics. I think I'm giggling more than Caden is (he's laughing at me laughing). We are bonding with the characters I remember, as we travel back to a simpler and less-intrusive time. It's peaceful (well, in between the toddler shrieking), and it's much better than wanting to bang my head against the counter while I try to tune out watching the same dang "wiggles" episode for the THIRD time (No! I don't know where the heck Jeff is sleeping?! I'm starting to think he's a drunk though)...

I don't want to shelter Caden or Cooper from the world they live in (love it or hate it), but I do want to try to filter some of the extraneous and overly liberal fluff from their view while I can. So, go on Cookie Monster eat all the chocolate chip cookies you want! I'm pretty sure I can handle teaching my kids about the importance of eating healthy foods and maintaining a balanced diet (so you can settle down with your veggie-brownie kick).

Yep, Caden, Cooper, DaDa and Mama are reclaiming vintage kids tv, and while we're at it we're focusing on old-fashioned values and manners too. We're going old-school and bringing back the classics...


1 comment:

  1. Reading rainbow was the best. My first high school boyfriend (Pat, now a super close friend who DJ'd my sister's wedding!) was on it in Toledo as one of the book reviewers. He made me watch it one time when I was at his house after school. (then we made out in the basement.) :)

    ReplyDelete