Friday, May 10, 2013

Making strides... one baby step at a time

Well, folks I don't know exactly how it happened or why it happened (although I'd love to think it was my doing entirely), but after 3-straight-days, the napping strike ended in our household. Caden (and mama) are in a much happier (and more rested) state of mind, and the husband is no longer scared to come home. It's a good thing too, because I was starting to become pretty desperate (e.g. "what would be so wrong with giving him a shot of Benadryl?!")  and things were looking bleak. I'm glad I didn't get any random solicitors or toll-free calls over the last several days, because had you rung my doorbell while the babes were "trying" to nap, I might've had to call the cops on myself (no joke)! 

So, this is how it went down... After much Internet-researching and other-mama-consulting, I was determined to win the napping war by the fourth day. I was not about to wave the white flag (Caden gets his stubbornness honestly). I made a plan... Invite "Crazy Uncle Steven" (my still rambunctious younger brother), go to the park (and strongly encourage rampant running around and screaming), eat a healthy lunch (cookies don't count), then take some quiet time to wind down, read, get comfortable, and hopefully begin our nap!! 

Well, Steven definitely wore Caden out (he was already yawning at the park), so when it came to "quiet time," Caden and I sat down to read his favorite book about cars (what else?!), and we talked about how "everyone takes naps... Mama naps, Da-da naps, your doggies nap... Even Elmo and Cookie Monster take naps. Naps help us get strong so we can play more when we wake up..." I promised him a snack and a trip outside again to play, gave him his favorite car to sleep with (the kid is obsessed) and off he went to dreamland... I stood at the bottom of the stairs for at least five minutes holding my breath and waiting for the screams, but they never came!! My brother was still there (drinking my chocolate milk... Jerk!), so we visited and chatted about his upcoming nuptials (of course being a guy he had no answers to my questions), and Caden never made a peep! After Steven left, admittedly, I jumped up and down (but ever-so-gently as to not wake the monster). It's been two days and I think we just might be back-on-track (can I get a "whoomp whoomp?!")

Don't send congratulatory flowers or cards just yet though, because another thing we're working with  Caden on right now is setting boundaries and learning limits... and that's not going so well. I did another sweep of the inter-webs re: "how to discipline a toddler," and I came across some good (and really awful) ideas. Here's one of the good ones I found:  http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/discipline-behavior/8-tools-toddler-discipline. To summarize, the good doctor basically advises parents to pick your battles, set clear boundaries and limits, make sure your toddler understands when and why they've done something wrong, and also remember to praise them when they react the next time by doing the right thing. Sounds reasonable, right?! I thought so... Well, I followed all of your tips Dr. Sears, and guess what?! They're not working on my kid!!

Case Study A: 
Caden throws his sippy cup of milk and it splatters EVERYWHERE (keep in mind this is the third time this same incident has occurred in a span of less than 2 hours). I (inhale, exhale) sternly say, "NO, Caden! We do not throw our drinks. No more milk for Caden now..." I do exactly as Dr. Sears advises, and I look him directly in the eye while saying this. He stares right back at me with his big brown eyes, turns the right corner of his lip up into a patronizing smirk, giggles, and says "oh mama," while patting me on the top of my head. (Seriously?! Where did this kid come from?!) I'm not sure what he meant by "oh mama," but I can assure you it didn't mean he was going to stop throwing the blasted sippy cup (so, I filled it up with water instead). It's times like this that I wonder who's really in charge... Me or my 22-month-old hooligan?!

On the brighter side, we are also working on teaching good manners, and I'm pleased to see and hear Caden saying "peeeeaaaaassss" when asking for his "wa-wa" (in addition to other objects of his desire). He's also beginning to respond with "tanks" (thanks), and learning to wait his turn to play with a toy, go down the slide, be patient while waiting in line, etc. He's learning to be "gentle" and kind to his younger brother, and to the other kids he plays with during the week. Having and practicing good manners is one of those "non-negotiables" for me as a parent and a role model. All too often (sadly), I see a young, careless kid (iPad in tow) run in front of an older lady or mom with her hands full, letting the door slam in her face without a second thought (usually, their parents are too distracted to even notice, or they let the door slam first). This same kid is the one who demands things without asking, expects new stuff without appreciating what he/she already has, and may one day grow up to be the "mean girl" or guy in my (and your) child's classroom. I know that I can't control what those kids do (although believe me, I'd love to tell them and their parents what I think), but I most certainly CAN and WILL influence and guide what my children do and how they behave - with dignity and respect. So, we're starting early in our house and we've got a lot of work left to do... but whenI hear that tiny voice ask, "peeeeeeassss?," my soul feels a little more at ease, and my hope is restored for all the great things that lie ahead. Sure, we may go through another napping strike next week (say it ain't so!) and we will definitely continue to butt heads on many things as Caden (and one day, Cooper) learn limits, but it's nice to know that we're still making strides in the right direction... One little baby step at a time.


**** Are you on Facebook? Like our Facebook page "2boys1mama" today!! ****

No comments:

Post a Comment